Preschool Ponderings

Journey with me as we face the adventures and challenges of teaching a preschool program to 3-5 year-olds!

Thursday, November 08, 2007

A Comedy of Errors

Today was a horrid day in my class. I was expecting nine kids, six were there, but that was six too many. One of the kids, I knew about thirty seconds after he walked in the door that we were going to have a rough day. Sometimes I'm wrong on that assessment, but today I wasn't.

He was in time out within minutes. For the remainder of the day, he continued to display obnoxious behavior. The kicker came when he got that look in his eye, and sure enough, he'd had a messy accident. While I was getting him corralled into the bathroom to get him cleaned up, a parent came in. My other kids were painting with chocolate pudding and being preschoolers.

She waited for her daughter to finish, which was fine, but I was stuck in the bathroom trying to get this kid cleaned up. In the process of removing his soiled clothes, he managed to get the stool, which is the one the kids step on to reach the sink, completely dirty, and got the toilet seat as well as the floor dirty. One of the kids came in and stepped right in it.

At this point, I just had to laugh. The kids were being noisy, they were wound up all day. Two of the boys butted heads all day, lots of refereeing involved there on my part. It all added up to the mess that today was, and I decided I could either laugh or cry, so I chose to laugh. I'm sure the mom waiting thought I was nuts, but oh well. Par for the course on a day like day. At least tomorrow is Friday!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home