Preschool Ponderings

Journey with me as we face the adventures and challenges of teaching a preschool program to 3-5 year-olds!

Friday, September 28, 2007

Backwards Day

Today's theme day was Backwards Day. Everyone in my class came to school with their shirt on backwards! In the spirit of things, I even switched my shirt around. We got some weird looks, but oh well, the kids loved it! We also celebrated Backwards Day by walking in the hall, you guessed it, backwards! It was actually really nice, because the kids couldn't speed down the hall like they sometimes want to.

We did some neat projects this week. My favorite was apple painting. I sliced an apple in half, stuck a plastic fork in each half to serve as a handle, then let the kids take turns dipping it in paint and stamping it on the paper. The texture of the apple made really neat patterns on paper! Pictures will follow!

We also glued candy corn to a letter C template. I set them out to dry overnight on Monday and hung them up Tuesday morning. While they looked very nice, it only took a couple of minutes before the candy corn starting falling off. Not just a few, mind you, but about a third of the candy! Oh well, I took them all down and sent them home with the kids.

Another fun project that turned out better than I had expected was something called a bio-poem. I made a sheet with a list of questions to ask each child, then after their interview, they drew a self-portrait. I then glued the paper to a sheet of construction paper that was their favorite color. The final effect was really neat!

Lastly, to celebrate friendship, today we made friendship art. That entailed each child drawing on a piece of paper with another classmate. Sounds easy, right? Well, I tied one of their hands to their classmate's hand, so that one child was drawing with their right hand, one with their left. It looked really interesting! Since we had an uneven number in the class today, I tied my own hand to one of my students' hands, and we worked together. I was the person with the left hand free, that made it interesting. All in all, a good week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home