Preschool Ponderings

Journey with me as we face the adventures and challenges of teaching a preschool program to 3-5 year-olds!

Friday, September 14, 2007

Donuts, Disco and Dinosaurs!

Our shape of the month is a circle, and I was looking for fun ideas to reinforce that shape. I saw the idea to make donuts, and added my own twist! I took a sheet of brown construction paper, traced two concentric circles to make the donut shape. I then had the kids paint the "donut" with brown paint, then we sprinkled candy sprinkles over it. The finished project looked good enough to eat, and I received lots of compliments from parents and other teachers! Pictures will follow as soon as I stop forgetting to take my camera to work.

Other projects this week included the USA maps that we did last year. These turned out great as well. We had sensory fun on Wednesday, which entailed a large container of stuff (oatmeal in one, cornmeal in the other) on each table, as well as measuring cups and spoons for them to play with. They loved this!

During our gym time, we're supposed to have a structured activity. This isn't too difficult to come up with, most of the time. On Wednesday, we played Red Light, Green Light. I threw in a couple of other lights, just to throw them off. One of them was Yellow Light, which meant for them to walk. Their favorite signal was Strobe Light, where everyone had to freeze where they were and disco!

Today we ran races, where I picked an animal that they had to imitate. For example, they'd have to hop like a kangaroo, crawl like a snake, or walk on all fours like an elephant. Today I added the dinosaur component. We walked like a brontosaurus, ran like a T-Rex and flew like a Pterodactyl. For our other game, we played a variation of Duck, Duck, Goose, which I called Triceratops, Triceratops, T-Rex!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home